Wednesday, June 18, 2008

PIE, COBBLER, & CRISP: Fruit-Filled Goodness (PART 3: Crisp)

I was at a party recently where there were two desserts: a fancy cake from a bakery and a cherry crisp that my friend's mom made. The dessert that everyone was talking about was the homemade fruit crisp. After I ate my piece up, I started to think about what kind of crisp I would make once I got home.

Crisps are easy to prepare. You can put one together quickly and pop it in the oven while dinner is cooking. The topping is made with basic staples and any chopped fruit will work.

I like crisp toppings with oats. The recipe that I use is from my beloved Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. Whenever I cook out of this book, I just know the recipe is going to be wholesome and delicious. The recipes that I cook from Moosewood feel well-worn and comfortable, while still maintaing style and relevance. This is the first cookbook that I ever owned and I still turn to it regularly.

Crisp Topping Ingredients:
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • a dash or two of each: allspice and nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons melted butter or margarine

Make Your Crisp:

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Chop the fruit and sprinkle with a little sugar (less is more).
  3. Lightly butter a 9-inch square pan and add in the fruit.
  4. Mix the crisp topping ingredients together.
  5. Add the topping to the fruit. Distribute evenly and pat firmly into place.
  6. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crisp topping is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling around the edges.
  7. Serve hot-out-of-the-oven, warm, or at room temperature. Great either with ice cream or without!

A casual, yet special dessert, a fruit crisp will effortlessly turn an everyday meal into a special celebration!

Recipe © 1977, 1992 by Mollie Katzen.

No comments: