Saturday, June 21, 2008

FOOD DEHYDRATOR: Fresh Joy for Dried Food (PART 1: The Love Story)

I was just minding my own business, cruising through Target when it happened. I was blindsided, and I loved every minute of it. Surrounded by potential, I didn't know where to look first. Good-looking, promising options were everywhere I turned. I finally managed to focus on a few favorites.

I couldn't stop eyeing the waffle maker. And then there was the George Forman grill. And of course, the food dehydrator. I just knew one was going home with me, but which one? Each had its own set of wonderful qualities. I would be lucky to have any of them. Ultimately though, one was shining brighter than the rest.

My food dehydrator was plugged in for three days straight. I couldn't help myself. After I dehydrated almost every piece of produce in the house, I decided to face the facts. This level of dehydration just couldn't go on in order to maintain a healthy and happy gas and electric bill.

I now selectively dehydrate, and I think this is the way to go. Not everything tastes so good dehydrated anyway. Regardless, I'm loving my dehydrator and the endless joy it brings. I am so excited to dry the beautiful summer produce and enjoy it throughout the fall and winter, if I can help myself from eating it first.

True love for 40 bucks? Works for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...such a happy blog, Shayna; a blog that gives you not only a recipe or an idea, but also a smile...

Anonymous said...

The comment, "you're all dried up" means something totally new. Who says that old fruit ain't no good. I beg to differ.

Anonymous said...

i have always wanted a food dehydrator. that's exciting for you. keep us posted on the blog abt what is great to dehydrate :0)

Anonymous said...

Your dehydrator story was all consuming, helarious. Loved you quips and asides. There is so much you enjoy and your enthusiasm is so contageous that to know your so happy doing what your doing made my day. You know I don't do much in the kitchen, except microwave what you mother so deliciously saves for me, that food wise I live vacariously through your blog.