Saturday, October 11, 2008

POMEGRANATES: Inspiration for a Fall Fanatic

One reason why fall is the best? Pomegranates! As long as they're in season, I try to eat one a day. They're my favorite right now. I just ate two of them, and they were perfect. I wish I had another one. Ah well, tomorrow then!

When first introduced to pomegranates, I was a little intimidated. They were so beautiful, so tasty, and maybe the most special fruit I had ever seen. Yet as a novice, the pomegranate also appeared to be a high-maintenance fruit. Thinking about splitting it open, the red juice dripping all over, and separating the billions of little seeds tucked into layers of pith, seemed like a lot to maneuver in order to eat some fruit. I just wasn't so sure. But I dove in anyhow, picked it up fast, and soon became a pomegranate-lifer and in turn, a fall enthusiast.

I'm all for the slow-and-steady, peel-n-eat method. Just plucking out seed by lil' seed, and eating them up along the way. When I'm in certain moods, this bit-by-eensy-bit way of eating pomegranates can be one of my main reasons for enjoying the fruit. When I was in the habit of working through my lunch break, I would be so grateful on the days that I remembered to bring a pomegranate with me. It meant that I would be forced to slow down and take some time for myself. And I savored every moment of time that it took to peel and eat the fruit. So mellow.

Then of course, there's the on-the-go pomegranate snack. This approach comes in handy for a gal or guy who's on the move. When going this route, I quickly cut up my pomegranate into fourths, put the pieces into a Tupperware container, and then chomp into each section as I would an apple. Delicious! As a disclaimer, this method has the potential of being a little messy. I've definitely sacrificed having red juice spots on my outfit for the day as the price for being able to eat my pomegranate in a jiff. But the way I see it, if it's not one of my favorite shirts, it's all good, as long as I make my bus on time.

I gotta say, the newest way I've learned to eat pomegranates is now my #1 go-to method - the soak-n-float style. Simply fill a medium-sized bowl halfway with water. Cut the pomegranate into fourths. Put the sections into the bowl of water. With your hands in the water, remove all of the seeds. The seeds sink to the bottom of the bowl, and the pith floats to the top. Just skim off the floating bits that you don't want to eat, and pour the bowl over a strainer to catch your prized seeds. The work is done fairly fast, and the water keeps your hands from getting stained. Sometimes I like to prepare a bunch of pomegranates at once this way. This leaves me with plenty of seeds to keep in the fridge for a couple of days, for throwing on salads, or just grabbing as a snack, saving me from doing the work every time I get the hankering for some pomegranates.

So bundle up, put on a scarf, and eat some pomegranates as you decide how you're going to carve your pumpkin this year. Happy fall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips Shayna!

I like to coat/dip pomegranate seeds in tempered dark chocolate.

yummy...

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's Jonathon Loy! Love the pomegranate tip - I was just eating one the other day and wished I knew a better way =)